Thursday, January 5, 2017

coming soon: awesome outer space quilt


This awesome outer space quilt is coming soon from an eBay seller in Maine. The seller did not know much about it, but there was a label on the back with names. So, I started searching.


Here's what I learned. The quilt was made by a group of school kids in Dr. Ladd's class at Carpenter Elementary School in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire in 1995. It was one of several quilts made by students to decorate the new Crescent Lake Elementary School, opening the following year.


I went looking for names on Facebook, and started with the more unusual names. Carissa Vilders, now Carissa Dube. We had a mutual friend, Cathy Sykes, an antiques dealer in Wolfeboro. I started asking Cathy questions, and as it turned out she was familiar with a lot of the names. At this point several of them have stepped forward with more details. Here are some more photos from the seller.










When the quilt arrives, I will photograph it and I'll continue to record all of the information I receive about it. One of the makers ended up working for NASA. I thought that was pretty neat.
SaveSave

8 comments:

  1. Don't you love the "hunt"..... this quilt has a long story.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO cool to speak to one one, but lots of the people who made a unique quilt like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing - How cool is that?! I love that you have taken the time to research the quilt and find its roots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool story behind such a beautiful quilt! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So unique. What a great quilt and a great story, to be continued..........

    ReplyDelete
  6. This gives me good kind of chills! You found the quilt and will now connect the pieces to the people, people to the story and the story to the time, at that point of time in a schools classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cool! I love that one of them went on to work for NASA! My daughter is in love with all things space and science and would get a kick out of this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The importance of art! I love that one of the kids ended up working for NASA!

    ReplyDelete