Friday, August 11, 2017

cracking the code


"I get by with a little help from my friends."

My friend Siobhan Furgurson was downsizing and getting ready to move to a new home. She sent me a box of goodies this week. One of the items in the box was a copy of Simplicity's Quilts & Patches magazine from 1979.


When she was sorting through the periodicals, she found the design source for a mystery quilt in my collection and sent it my way. What a lovely, thoughtful thing to do.


The quilt was called "Village Scene" and it came with a design for a pillow and ideas for making cutains and a lampshade.


There it was in the pages of the 1979 magazine. It was made around the time I thought it was. My guess would've been the 1970s or possibly the 1980s.



I almost fell out of my seat when I saw the pattern and the other items that were meant to go with the quilt. In the notes at the back of the magazine, the design is credited to Joann Mann Neville. Cracking the code of the design source took a little time but it was worth the wait. Many thanks to Siobhan for such a kind, generous gift! Stay tuned for more details about what else was in the box.

2 comments:

  1. I have that magazine! It is one of the first quilt magazines I bought. I was in college at the time and barely had any money. I studied that magazine from cover to cover many times. I had to throw out the original copy as it had gotten wet but found another copy on eBay years back. My favorite quilts were the bunny quilt and the bandanna quilt and the star quilt on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny! I was 18 and that was one of my first quilt magazine purchases and I made that quilt on the front. Since I was brand new at quilting, I only quilted along the seam lines; so within a few years all of the batting that was in those huge stars started balling up! It was embarrassing because I had given it to my mom. LOL Thank you for the wonderful memory!

    ReplyDelete