Friday, April 20, 2018

It's a date!

An exhibition is scheduled for next summer at Latimer Quilt & Textile Center.
It's a date! At the recent Clark County Quilters show, I saw my friends from Latimer Quilt & Textile Center in Tillamook and asked if they had any summer dates available for exhibitions. Lucky for me, they did. Quilts from my collection will be on display at the center in July and August 2019.

Kalakoa, Discovering the Hawaiian Scrap Quilt at Latimer (2016)
Each year, Linda's family has a reunion over in Seaside, and I thought it would be fun to offer an exhibition of quilts in the area at the same time. I haven't decided what to exhibit yet, but it won't be a problem coming up with a good show.

"Small Wonders: Doll Quilts by Andrea Balosky" (2011)
Two exhibitions of quilts from my collection were previously shown at Latimer-- "Masterpiece Quilts: Modernism in American Patchwork" (2014) and "Kalakoa, Discovering the Hawaiian Scrap Quilt" (2016). I curated another show, "Small Wonders: Doll Quilts by Andrea Balosky" in 2011. That was the first time I curated an exhibition of quilts, and it seems like a long time ago. A lot of things have happened since then!


I'm considering a select group of quilts from my first book, "New York Beauty, Quilts from the Volckening Collection" (2015, Quiltmania France), because I have never exhibited those quilts at Latimer. The last time I exhibited them in Oregon was actually the first time I had an exhibition of quilts from my collection, and that was in 2011 at the Benton County Museum.
Bicentennial Quilt by Barbara McKie
Of course, there are plenty of other ideas. I am also considering patriotic and/or Bicentennial, although the idea may be a bit premature. I've got enough quilts and latch hook rugs to hang a good Bicentennial show, but the Sestercentennial is in 2026, so I may try to hold off on exhibiting Bicentennial until we are closer to 2026.


It is always interesting to look at the collection and consider what groups of quilts could be pulled out for exhibitions and other projects. There are applique quilts, floral quilts, wool quilts, embroidered quilts, velvet quilts, and lots of 1970s quilts. There are also quilts from each of my three books, the third of which will be released later this year. What will I decide to show? Stay tuned...
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

1 comment: